freetds - Re: [freetds] Linux/MSSQL connect

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Frank M. Kromann" <frank AT kromann.info>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Linux/MSSQL connect
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:38:09 -0800

Hi James,

As the maintainer of the mssql extension in PHP I would like to help with
this. It would be nice to get it "right" once and for all so we can have a
single place to point new and existing users to.

I see a need for at least 3 methods:

1) Using the ODBC extension
2) Using the MSSQL extension
3) Using Sybase og Sybase-CT extensions

It would also be nice to make some form of performance statement and
perhaps some recommandations on the best method to use.

I have never used ODBC on *nix but on Wndows I once found that the MSSQL
extension was up to 8 times faster than the ODBC extension for the same job
and I think the MSSQL extension is easier to configure and use (no need to
configure unixODBC or other managers) but I'm biased :-)

- Frank