freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Windows to MS-SQL2005 (not ODBC!) with Perl (DBD::Sybase?)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Windows to MS-SQL2005 (not ODBC!) with Perl (DBD::Sybase?)
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:25:09 -0500

Rob Biedenharn wrote:
> Has anyone made the DBD::Sybase connection to MS SQL 2005 with
> FreeTDS? Note that the connection originates from Windows, not Unix
> (not cygwin, not SFU).

I'm afraid not. At least, I've never heard of it.

That said, it shouldn't be a big deal. The rest of FreeTDS, as you know,
builds on Windows, including, most importantly, the TDS layer (libtds).
There's nothing I can think of offhand that's platform specific in ct-lib.
I would bet a competent programmer could have a working library in an
afternoon.

The other change you're making, though, is from Sybase to Microsoft. Be
aware that while FreeTDS is happy to connect to Microsoft servers, it does
not (as noted in the DBD::Sybase docs) provide placeholder support.

If you (or someone else reading here) encounters problems getting our
ct-lib to compile on Windows, I'd be happy to offer what assistance I can.
I've done a fair amount of C++ work in Windows and keep a locally hacked
version of src/apps/defncopy around. I just don't do it for fun because,
well, it's not fun. ;-)

Reliable error handling in the ODBC driver is also important. If you find
problems with that, we'd appreciate clear bug reports. They typically get
addressed pretty quickly.

HTH.