freetds - [freetds] FreeTDS on Windows to MS-SQL2005 (not ODBC!) with Perl (DBD::Sybase?)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Rob Biedenharn <Rob AT AgileConsultingLLC.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] FreeTDS on Windows to MS-SQL2005 (not ODBC!) with Perl (DBD::Sybase?)
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 17:11:16 -0500

I have (or more to the point my client has) a set of Perl scripts that run on HP-UX connecting to Sybase:

Perl
DBI
DBD::Sybase
ct-lib
Sybase ASEv11.9.2
HP-UX B.11.11 U

This is being transitioned to run on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (Standard Edition) SP1 connecting to SQL Server 2005:

Perl
DBI
DBD::Sybase
(ct-lib from FreeTDS?)
MS SQL 2005
MS Windows Server 2003 SP1

However, the platform being Windows and not some form of Unix, I'm not only a bit out of my element, but seem to be coming up empty searching the archives for help.

It appears that the ctlib isn't built on Windows (as the dblib.lib and FreeTDS.lib are in freetds-0.65.dev.20061107) and the FreeTDS.dll for ODBC isn't what I want either.

We've already tried going down the path of using DBD::ODBC instead, but are running into issues with catching errors (RAISERROR) from the underlying stored procedures reliably. (There are a few places where SQL is used directly, but most interaction is invoking a stored procedure.) There may be issues to address in the SQL itself, but as everything runs on Sybase, that is less desirable. (We'd already run into and addressed the issue of ODBC having strictly positional parameters for invoking stored procedures rather than the more flexible named parameters used widely in the business level code.)

Since there is substantial body of Perl code that sits on top of DBI and DBD::Sybase, we are running into enough issues to look at avoiding ODBC. We have stored procedures with multiple result sets, PRINT statements, a few with COMPUTE results, etc. that aren't handled as well through the generic ODBC protocol.

Has anyone made the DBD::Sybase connection to MS SQL 2005 with FreeTDS? Note that the connection originates from Windows, not Unix (not cygwin, not SFU).

I've tried to find the answer in the User Guide and Reference Manual and scanning the past 3.5 years of list archives (and Google was equally unhelpful this time). If there's not a simple answer, but some work that I could be guided through offline, please contact me directly and I post the results later.

-Rob

Rob AT AgileConsultingLLC.com
+1 513-295-4739