freetds - Re: [freetds] php undefined symbol: mssql_module_entry (cannotload phpwith --with-mssql=/usr/local/freetds)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <james.k.lowden AT alliancebernstein.com>
  • To: <cgarcia AT intdatacollection.com>, "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] php undefined symbol: mssql_module_entry (cannotload phpwith --with-mssql=/usr/local/freetds)
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 19:23:53 -0500

Sorry, I can't help. I don't know what's wrong.

The ldd & readelf output tells you:

1. ldd: the runtime linker finds libsybdb.
2. because (says readelf) the RPATH tells it to look in the right place.

That's good; it means you don't have to correct PHP's RPATH or otherwise help
your linker find its libraries. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't answer
your question, and we're way beyond what I know about PHP.

Someone else surely knows more.

> Where is RPATH defined?

The RPATH is added to the ELF binary (executable or shared library) by the
linker. Much like a PATH in your shell, it tells the binary where to look
for shared objects. When that library is an unusual place (like, say,
/usr/local/freetds/lib), the RPATH becomes a very useful hint.

http://netbsd.org/Documentation/elf.html
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-shlibs.html (by the
ever-helpful Peter Seebach)

and, for the real deal, cf. page 46:

http://flint.cs.yale.edu/cs422/doc/ELF_Format.pdf

HTH.

--jkl

P.S. (If I could make a small suggestion, though, please don't use asterisks
and slashes for emphasis in your email when you're showing input and output.
For me, at least, it's harder to read and a little bit misleading.)

The information contained in this transmission may be privileged and
confidential and is intended only for the use of the person(s) named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review,
dissemination,
distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you are
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply
e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message. Please note that we do not
accept
account orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and therefore will not be
responsible
for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. If you, as the intended
recipient
of this message, the purpose of which is to inform and update our clients,
prospects
and consultants of developments relating to our services and products, would
not
like to receive further e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply"
to the
sender indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New
York,
NY 10105.