freetds - [freetds] SQL Server image data type

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Stacy Gaddy <stacy.gaddy AT sienatech.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] SQL Server image data type
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:57:14 -0400

I am using FreeTDS and unixODBC to reach a SQLServer 2000 database through
Oracle 10g's Generic Connectivity feature.  My intention is to bulk load
several tables from SQLServer to Oracle through this setup.  The tables on
the SQLServer side have fields of type "image".  If I understand correctly,
the SQLServer "image" data type get mapped to the Oracle "LONG RAW" data
type.  When I attemp to query the SQLServer table through Oracle's Generic
Connectivity, I get:
Error:ORA-02068: following severe error from MSSQL
ORA-28511: lost RPC connection to heterogeneous remote agent using
SID=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=yosemite)
(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=mssql)))

My question is this....does FreeTDS/unixODBC combination support the image
datatype?  If so, are there any special configuration items that need to be
considered?

I have this same setup working successfully using the ODBC drivers and Driver
Manager from DataDirect.  I would prefer to use an opensource solution.

Any input would be appreciated.
--
Stacy Gaddy
stacy.gaddy AT sienatech.com