freetds - Re: [freetds] Problem with stored proc and varchar parameters

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <james.k.lowden AT alliancebernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problem with stored proc and varchar parameters
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:22:44 -0400

I'll tell you where you can find 0.63, but first want to advise you. I
disagree that 0.64 cannot send parameters to stored procedures. Among
other things, FreeTDS's ODBC driver is used with DBD::ODBC and
OpenOffice.org. If varchar parameters were really a problem, we'd be
very concerned.

And if you *do* have a problem, you're unlikely to get help with 0.63
from the developers at this point.

Please look in src/odbc/unittests and see samples/odbc_rpc.pl. If
you're sure you're coding your application correctly, please provide as
small a test case as you can, perhaps by modifiying one of the
unittests.

I just finished writing src/odbc/unittests/rpc.c. It's only in current
CVS; you can find it in any current snapshot. If you simply build the
snapshot (and don't install it), then run "make check" in
src/odbc/unittests, then try "ldd rpc", I think you'll see that it's
linked to your *installed* libraries. If so, I would think that would
be a good harness for you. I tested it with 0.64 and it worked as of a
few days ago.

(I actually think the unit tests should be statically linked to the
build tree, but in this case what I consider a bug could be more of a
feature.)

Now I'll answer your question. On http://www.freetds.org/software.html
(the software link on the main page) you'll see "Ibiblio.org Main
distribution site". Click there and go to the "old" directory. It's a
positive gold mine of obsolete code.

http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/

Regards,

--jkl

> > bflood AT tethermedia.com wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am new to freetds. I just downloaded stable version (0.64)
> >> yesterday and have a simple ODBC app that I am trying to get
> >> working on linux (connecting to SQL Server on a windows box).
> >> I have a stored proc that takes a varchar (basically a string
> >> of up to 10 chars). However when I execute it no character data
> >> gets sent across the wire. If I change the proc to take an
> >> INTEGER then it works (and I see the parm value in the TDS
> >> stream).
> >>

> > Try version 0.63 I had the same problem with 0.64, going back to
> > 0.63 solved the problem. Perhaps also read this:
> > http://kb.vankoperen.nl/freetds-problems.html

The information contained in this transmission may be privileged and
confidential and is intended only for the use of the person(s) named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review,
dissemination,
distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you are
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply
e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message. Please note that we do not
accept
account orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and therefore will not be
responsible
for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. If you, as the intended
recipient
of this message, the purpose of which is to inform and update our clients,
prospects
and consultants of developments relating to our services and products, would
not
like to receive further e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply"
to the
sender indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New
York,
NY 10105.