freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeBSD (unixODBC) to QNX Sybase

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeBSD (unixODBC) to QNX Sybase
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 06:03:57 -0400

Kamil Parkanyi wrote:
> >https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/freetds/2006q2/020045.html
> >http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/technotes/sqlany5_isql.html
> >If you have a gadget apparently called "SQL Anywhere Open Server", it
> >seems you can use that as a gateway between the 5.0.5 server and
> >TDS-based clients.
>
> My aim is not to add between Unix<->Qnx something like MS Win as a
> bridge. It seems this old Sybase version can talk only with Win partner
> :-(

Well, you're using very old technology. Can you not use a more recent
version of ASA, or even another RDBMS? (If I were to write a TDS gateway
(such as you propose below) it would be for Postgres.)

> Do you think that this idea could work? :
>
> FreeTDS (tcp) <-> QNX my daemon (tcp) -conversion between tcp and udp
> (localhost) side(udp) <-> Sybase server(udp)

Yes. Your daemon would be a gateway. It would play the role of "SQL
Anywhere Open Server".

You might want to begin by looking in the src/server directory. That
server might be a good starting point for you.

It is not a project for the faint of heart, however. Although a good bit
of TDS 4.2 is implemented in our server, connecting it to your UDP backend
would be a challenge. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,