freetds - Re: [freetds] Charset question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <james.k.lowden AT alliancebernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Charset question
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:07:27 -0400

Fair enough. :-)

> I copied my example from the lcoales.conf in cvs, which uses a
> space:

"http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/freetds/freetds/locales.conf?rev=
1.5&view=markup

I know. I think it's wrong, based on looking at the code.

> > [default]
> > language = english charset = iso_1
> >

> I've amended my copy to match this.
>
> > Turn on TDSDUMPCONFIG to confirm it's being used.
> So I now have a correct locales.conf file, but I'm still getting
> a UTF-8 connection attempt. I've verified that
/etc/freetds/locales.conf
> is being read using strace.

TDSDUMPCONFIG should produce this message:

charset is iso_1

> Any more ideas?

I don't find anywhere in the code that the LANG (or any locale
environment variables) are affecting the login packet. I'm not
surprised that unsetting those didn't change anything.

If you see the above message but connections continue to specify
something else as the charset at login, then I'd guess we have a bug.
It will take some testing with a Sybase server to track down what's
happening. It's been my ambition to add a bit to our debug flags to let
login packets be logged. It would be helpful in this case, but, well,
enough of the subjunctive.

> No problem at all, thanks for your help. Can I do anything to
> update the locales.conf page in the user guide?

I'm always happy to get patches of any kind, including to the UG. Let's
see if we can straighten out what's going on first, though.

The information contained in this transmission may be privileged and
confidential and is intended only for the use of the person(s) named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review,
dissemination,
distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you are
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply
e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message. Please note that we do not
accept
account orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and therefore will not be
responsible
for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. If you, as the intended
recipient
of this message, the purpose of which is to inform and update our clients,
prospects
and consultants of developments relating to our services and products, would
not
like to receive further e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply"
to the
sender indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New
York,
NY 10105.