freetds - Re: [freetds] Can no longer connect (by tsql or PHP) - "Msg 20004, Read from SQL server failed"?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Michael Starling" <mike AT barkingdogstudios.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Can no longer connect (by tsql or PHP) - "Msg 20004, Read from SQL server failed"?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:20:54 -0500

Hi, thanks for the reply. :)

Okay - sounds reasonable. I know when the server was connecting on port
2998 it was working, but I perhaps the guy who set up the firewall rules set
up port 4000 differently?

He did say it was just "outgoing" on port 4000 he opened up - is that the
issue? Should it be more than that? (Also - he didn't specify, but should
it be TCP, UDP, or both? I know my own firewall at home has rules like
that...).

Is it just that one port that needs opening, or are others used for
'handshaking' of some sort perhaps? (I know FTP, for example, can use
various other ones than 21 if in "active" mode...).

I'm kind of hamstrung by not having direct access to these various elements
myself... however, if I have as the information about what needs to be fixed
hopefully they can fix it...

Thanks again!
Mike.