freetds - [freetds] mssql_query returns a boolean false instead an empty recordset when the query doesn't match any record

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Pablo F. Díaz Anzalone" <pablo.anzalone AT iso.bbe.es>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] mssql_query returns a boolean false instead an empty recordset when the query doesn't match any record
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:55:31 +0100

Hi all,

Maybe I didn't explain myself quite wel, so I wil repeat the
queestion in other words.

I would like to know which is the correct answer I should obtain from
mssql_query. I have a server in which mssql_query is returning a false
boolean when it should return an empty recordset (as is doing in the
other server).

In other words, the question is why I have a server in which mssql_query
returns empty recordsets when the query doesn't match any record and I
have installed a new one in which instead of an empty recordset I get a
boolean valued to false.

Which one is ok and what can be the problem with the other.

I know I can test in each query if result is false or a resource but I
have more than a hundred queries and I would like to have the knew
server with the same behavour as the previous one, which it is also how
I think that it should work.

I'm sorry for the repetition of the topic, but I'm very interested in
having a better solution than putting if's in each query.

Thank you.

Pablo