freetds - Re: [freetds] mssql_connect : Unable to connect to server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] mssql_connect : Unable to connect to server
  • Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 09:49:23 +0100

Il giorno ven, 04/11/2005 alle 10.47 -0500, Pickett, David ha scritto:
> Pedro,
>
> Just offhand, I'd expect "xx.xx.x.xx:1443", so I wonder if your SQL Server
> host name plus port is too long for some buffer. Did you configure it with
> an IP? If no, you might try that, just to see.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David
>
> PS: Is there any move to add freeTDS support of dynamic port (which gives
> auto port detection) and connection by instance name? I saw the dialog on
> truss with other SQL Server products, and it is a simple UDP packet exchange
> with port 1434 on the server.
>

>From CVS HEAD NEWS

* 0.64
- reduce network bandwidth use on Linux and *BSD
- do not free TDSSOCKET in tds_connect
- moved network stuff in net.c
- fixed conversion NUMERIC->NUMERIC changing precision/scale
- fixed compute handling in ODBC
- more dblib functions
- add named instance support (mssql2k)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
- fixed cancel and timeout
- add support for encrypted connection using mssql
(using either GnuTLS or OpenSSL)
- RPMs
- ODBC driver registration (in odbcinst.ini)
- better dependency for RedHat and SUSE
- improved pool server
- added msvc6 project to build dblib library on windows
- improved numeric conversions performance
- improved debug logging (added "debug flags" option)
- support long password on tsql for all platforms
- ct_dynamic and friends (placeholder support under ctlib)
- constant parameters in odbc rpc (ie {?=call func(10,?)} )
- configure use automatically odbc_config if available
- ODBC paramset support
- fixed dblib buffering

If you download snapshot you will find a "instance" setting for
freetds.conf and a "server\instance" syntax for SERVER setting in ODBC.

> Maybe it is in there, and I did not read enough on how to turn it on! I see
> that with no port, my ODBC setup with no port defaults to 4000 not 1433 nor
> the default value 5000 listed here:
>
> http://www.freetds.org/userguide/freetdsconf.htm
>
> Maybe that is an ODBC glitch? Well, I wonder if the MS 1434 dynamic port
> thing is even within the TDS spec. realm. Regardless, freeTDS should not be
> left behind.

I remember that there is no official TDS specs beside Sybase (TDS 5.0)
one...