freetds - Re: [freetds] Sybase "binary" compatibility

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Sybase "binary" compatibility
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:00:33 +0200

> Hi Freddy,
>
> My installation of Sybase open client has a file called csconfig.h
> which includes the following:
>
> #if defined(__alpha)
> typedef int CS_INT;
> typedef int CS_RETCODE;
> typedef int CS_BOOL;
> typedef unsigned int CS_UINT;
> #else
> typedef long CS_INT;
> typedef long CS_RETCODE;
> typedef long CS_BOOL;
> typedef unsigned long CS_UINT;
> #endif
>
> which is then included in cstypes.h, thus:
>
> /*
> ** Include the configuration header file. This file contains
> the defines
> and
> ** type definitions that are platform/compiler specific.
> */
> #include <csconfig.h>
>

> I changed the definition of our CS_BOOL to match sybase's on my
> platform.
> What do you have on your installation of sybase open client ?
>
> HTH,
>
> Bill

I have the same stuff but this break compatibility. I'm not again this
but if we want to follow Sybase defines (types, constants, structures,
function declarations and so on) we should align everything to this
"standard". Breaking binary compatibility means that if freetds is
updated all dependent libraries must be recompiled. This is the problem
that cause debian to use a old version. If you agree to change
compatibility I would also commit attached patch.