freetds - Re: [freetds] Connecting to MS-SQL Server 2000 from Debian Linux

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT t-online.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Connecting to MS-SQL Server 2000 from Debian Linux
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:41:50 +0200

On Jul 22, 2005, at 6:56, dspada AT iinet.net.au wrote:

However when I run the
following command (which I believe bypasses all config files) it just
doesn’t "do" anything.
muffin:/home/dan# tsql -H sqld02.dept.domain -p 445 -U username -P password
locale is "C" locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
It doesn’t give me a prompt of any kind, all I get is nothing. I can type in it
freely until I Ctrl-C out of it. It is interesting to note that no matter what
user/pass I put in there, it does the same thing.

I think the likely explanation is that you compiled FreeTDS with its default settings, in which case TDS version 5.0 got built in as the default choice, which is only supported by Sybase servers and not MSSQL.

Just one of the reasons why you really should not try bypassing the config files. They are there so you could set things such as this TDS protocol version. :)

Anyway, prepend TDSDUMP=stdout to your tsql command so that it looks like this:
TDSDUMP=stdout tsql [...]

Then you'll see more details about what's going on than you'd like to know. :)
You might even like to try TDSDUMPCONFIG=stdout

--
fds