freetds - [freetds] Connecting to MS-SQL Server 2000 from Debian Linux

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: dspada AT iinet.net.au
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Connecting to MS-SQL Server 2000 from Debian Linux
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:56:58 +0800

Howdy People!

My work has given me the task of moving an existing MySQL database to MS-SQL.
While the actual process of doing that was simple, getting my Linux web
server
to talk to the MS-SQL server isn’t, it seems :(.

The SQL server is a Windows box running SQL Server 2000.
When I connect in Windows I use the host SQLD02\Instance01. I was told
Instances are just fancy port numbers, and that I should just use port 445 in
this case. I checked this by doing a netstat in Windows, and in Linux to
ensure
the TCP ports match.

The Linux box is Linux 2.6.11.8.

I install FreeTDS on Linux and it compiles fine. However when I run the
following command (which I believe bypasses all config files) it just
doesn’t "do" anything.

muffin:/home/dan# tsql -H sqld02.dept.domain -p 445 -U username -P password
locale is "C" locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"

It doesn’t give me a prompt of any kind, all I get is nothing. I can type in
it
freely until I Ctrl-C out of it. It is interesting to note that no matter
what
user/pass I put in there, it does the same thing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated? :)

Dan Spada