freetds - Re: RES: [freetds] Connect to MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: RES: [freetds] Connect to MS SQL Server
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:09:03 -0400

Luís Flávio Loreto da Rocha wrote:
> let me explain what I'm need to do. I'm using
> FreeTDS + UnixODBC + mxODBC + Zope.
>
> The database user and password are saved in zope
> as plain text and the security guys are not happy with that.
>
> I need to find a way to change that (encrypt the password) or
> connect to SQL Server without using SQL Server user (connect using
> windows user, thats why I think in samba).

There may be a way, technically, to do what you want to do (I'm not sure,
because I'm still not quite clear on what you need) by using Samba's code.
But Samba is GPL, and FreeTDS is LGPL, so we can't redistribute Samba
binaries (linked to FreeTDS) without altering our license. Because of
that constraint, we have reimplemented some tiny bit of what Samba does,
but as a rule we don't look at their code.

The basic problem: you have to get the password somehow, which on a
non-interactive system means someone, somewhere has to store a password.
It doesn't have to be in the zope code, of course. You could fetch it
from a remote machine with ssh, for instance.

If you were hoping that, having connected with Samba to the file server,
you could somehow use that pipe to connect to SQL Server, the answer is
No. It may be that Samba caches the password (or other authentication
information), and it might be that, techically, we could take advantage of
such a cache, but then we're back to the legal issues.

I hope that's of some use to you.