freetds - Re: [freetds] (no subject)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <brian.bruns AT gmail.com>
  • To: Igor Korot <ikorot AT earthlink.net>, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 00:08:35 -0400

Igor, a couple of things.

The old Watcom database (which ASA is derived from) had a proprietary
protocol that it used. When you say "have an ODBC driver" on Windows,
it is likely using this proprietary protocol, which FreeTDS does not
support.

Once Sybase bought Watcom, they started transitioning to the TDS
protocol and the T-SQL language. ASA 5.5 was mostly T-SQL compliant,
but still used the proprietary protocol. As a short term solution,
Sybase introduced OSG, which listens on for TDS connection on a port
you specify and translates that back to the proprietary protocol.
Later versions went fully native TDS.

Now, regarding use of FreeTDS ODBC and the OSG. It should be possible
to use the ODBC-only or DSN-less connection without configuring
FreeTDS via the freetds.conf file. However, your path of least
resistance will be to get tsql working first and then attempt the
unixODBC setup. That way you'll know for certain that the server is
configured correctly, and what the settings are.

Brian