freetds - Re: [freetds] tdsdump SIGSEGV with mt apps

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: liam AT inodes.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tdsdump SIGSEGV with mt apps
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:03:43 +1000

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 07:12:03PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:

> Once a query is sent to the server, the line is absolutely quiet until the
> server answers (if ever). There is no interim message or heartbeat of any
> kind.
>
> I don't understand why the stack would close the connection merely because
> it's idle. A telnet session can stay up indefinitely without anyone
> typing anything.

Well, there have to be TCP keep-alives but this will happen transparent
to the application, etc.

Let's assume for now that based on this information about how the protocol
works, a seperate network timeout is not required.

In this case, select needs to be populated with query_timeout. Do you
want me to update the patch or do you want to do that Frediano?

> ISTM that a big lock in db-lib is OK. The db-lib "threading" model, if we
> can call it that, is that threads may not share a dbproc. Mutual
> exclusion, then, is required only when inter-process lists are maintained
> (e.g.connection_list, as you mentioned). I haven't been able to look at
> your code yet, but do I understand correctly from your postings that we
> agree?

Yes, I think we agree. I don't like the big lock model either, but until
I (or someone else) does a partial re-write of dblib, I think it's the
best solution.

Thanks.