freetds - Re: [freetds] ct-options

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "David Barnwell" <david.barnwell AT well.ox.ac.uk>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: sybperl-l AT peppler.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] ct-options
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:50:48 +0100

Hi James,

I've used transactions successfully with FreeTDS 0.63, DBD::Sybase-1.05_01
and SQL Server 2000. In tests, I can cause an error and get a successful
rollback. SQL Server transactions work fine with DBD::Sybase-1.04 and
DBD::Sybase-1.05_01, but not with DBD::Sybase-1.05.

See http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/~barnwell/tests_2005-04-15/ for some test
programs and output.

I've also been looking at the test suite in DBD::Sybase-1.05_01. I agree
that the unit tests should work perfectly. On my first attempt, 131/209
tests failed, which was discouraging!

However, most of the errors are from placeholders, which don't appear to be
working. I've added non-placeholder versions of the tests (except for
xblk.t, which I have skipped as it seems heavily dependent on placeholders).

Also, some tests fail because they use Sybase syntax (e.g. " != NULL" rather
than "is not NULL"). I've added code to check the server string and choose
Sybase or Microsoft SQL.

This reduces the failures to 3/147 tests, or 1/136 if you don't use blobs.
This seems more manageable!

Revised tests are at http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/~barnwell/dbd_sybase_tests/

I hope this helps,
David Barnwell

Database Developer/Systems Administrator
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics
University of Oxford, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford OX3 7BN, UK