freetds - Re: [freetds] tdsdump SIGSEGV with mt apps

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: liam AT inodes.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tdsdump SIGSEGV with mt apps
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:31:00 +1000

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 05:01:03PM +0200, ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:

> Please work on 0.64. Many thing has changed in cancel/timeout stuff. Is
> more easier to improve thread safety in 0.64.

In terms of thread saftey for logging, it is most likely easiest to
add a mutex and ensure that the logging functions acquire and release
the mutex when performing various operations.

More importantly, I want to discuss dblib thread saftey.

My previous patch placed a mutex around DBLIBCONTEXT.

Is there any reason why this the data in DBLIBCONTEXT can't be carried
inside DBPROCESS and LOGINREC? This would by default make dblib mostly
thread-safe. I don't see the point of putting a connection list
inside DBLIBCONTEXT, etc.

Anything that needs to be shared amongst connections (e.g configuration
information and timeouts) can be placed in a global structure and
protected by a mutex.

If the TDSCONTEXT itself is by definition of its implementation not
thread safe, then it might best be left there and protected by a
mutex.

Also Frediano, do you still want to push for the abstraction of
POSIX thread functions for portability?

Thanks.