freetds - Re: [freetds] Re: tsql & libtds status

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Chris Sharman <chris.sharman AT ccagroup.co.uk>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Re: tsql & libtds status
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:54:48 +0100

FreeTDS Development Group wrote:
VMS-specific mods are of interest to me if no one else.

The 'file separator' is simply:

static int queriesdone = 0;

if (queriesdone++) freopen("SYS$OUTPUT", "w", stdout);
above the column heading output. All but the last chunk of output apparently disappearing is not something I think you'd want to inflict on the installed userbase as part of an upgrade.

Played around with outputting file count & row totals into DCL symbols, too, for easier handling of output within command files.

The principal change was restructuring tsql to embed it into applications: separating initialisation from command execution, and handling timeout.

Please obtain and use GNU diffutils. I believe the committers prefer unified
diffs. There is a VMS port available at:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware50/gnudiffutils/gnudiffutils.zip

Will do in future, thanks.

As far as the production quality of libtds, if someone said it was unstable,
what they meant was that it's subject to change without notice, not that it's
in any way flaky. It's not at all surprising that you are able to write code
based on libtds and get it working reliably; the other libraries use it
internally after all.

It's just that if you want maintainable code that will continue to work with
future versions of FreeTDS and/or other purveyors of the other APIs, then you
should use them.

"Subject to change without notice" I can live with - I probably won't upgrade unless we upgrade SQL server, or there's a major bug fix in freetds, which seems unlikely.

Chris

Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender and not
necessarily those of CCA Group. The unauthorized use, disclosure,
copying or alteration of this message is forbidden. The contents of
this message may be confidential and/or privileged, copyright CCA Group
and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
they are addressed. Whilst this message has been scanned, CCA Group
cannot guarantee that it is virus free or compatible with your systems
and accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from its
use. The recipient is advised to run their own anti-virus software. If
you receive this message in error please contact
postmaster AT ccagroup.co.uk immediately, destroy any copies and delete it
from your computer systems.