freetds - RE: [freetds] ctlib vs. dblib vs. tds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] ctlib vs. dblib vs. tds
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:15:32 +0100

> Hi All,
> I've been using DBD:Sybase -> freeTDS -> MSSQL 2000 for three
> years now. I've been porting some of the code to C recently
> and am basically cutting the Perl piece out.
>
> My questions are: what are the major differences between
> ctlib, dblib, and using the code under src/tds?

Main difference is that dblib/ctlib API is set in stone while libTDS
(src/tds) keep changing... libTDS is the core of FreeTDS.

> My guess is that the ctlib and dblib use the tds libs, but
> haven't seen much mention of this.

?? I though you could find this information in ML and docs.

Refer to http://www.freetds.org/which_api.html

> Lastly, which is most likely to support 2005 use?

All... libTDS support 2005 so all libraries do!
However dblib design is quite old and ctlib api implements some feature
that hardly you will see implemented connecting to a mssql server...

> I'd like to use placeholders and bulkcopies and text fields.
> I didn't have much success with the Bulk Copies for TEXT or
> placeholders in ctlib. I didn't see any references to bulk in
> the TDS code but the placeholders worked ok (as long as it's
> not a text field insert). That's why I'm now considering
> trying out dblib, but I have concern that this lib won't be
> supported in the future.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick

Personally I work mostly on ODBC part... I don't know bcp that much.
Bill is your man.
If placeholder/bcp do not work please post some tests, they will help us
to fix your problem and improve our project, tests usually go on our
unittests so you will be sure that if they work on a given version they
will work on future versions too.