freetds - Re: [freetds] PHP and DSN-less Connection Strings

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Joerg Behrens" <behrens AT takenet.de>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] PHP and DSN-less Connection Strings
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:32:45 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Doblados" <jon.doblados AT gmail.com>
To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 9:17 AM
Subject: [freetds] PHP and DSN-less Connection Strings

> Gurus,
>
> I have only recently shifted to GNU/Linux and I'm still trying to
> learn the ropes, so please bear with me. Can someone help me with a
> step-by-step guide on how to get freetds running with PHP, preferably
> without changing much of the code (currently using DSN-less connection
> string)? On my SUSE server, I unpacked and installed freetds-0.62.4;
> and by using tsql, confirmed that I am able to connect to SQL Server
> 7. However, I get the error: "Call to undefined function
> odbc_connect..."

That means your php version is build without ODBC support or the extension
isnt loaded during
startup. Most current Linux distributions use shared extensions which can be
enabled in the php.ini
or loading during runtime with the dl('foo.so') function.

extension_dir= /path/to/extensions
extension=foo.so

But have you read www.php.net/mssql before starting using ODBC? PHP have
mssql support based on
freetds. I gives you a bunch of functions like
http://www.irixworld.net/php/overview.php?ext=mssql.
To check if the extensions available run a phpinfo() and search for the mssql
info table. An example
can found under http://www.irixworld.net/ (search for mssql).

regards
Joerg