freetds - Re: [freetds] Solaris linking

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Solaris linking
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:12:31 +0100

Il mer, 2004-12-08 alle 15:28, Alex S Moore ha scritto:
> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 14:08 +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
> > I can't comment on the commercial compiler because I didn't want to
> > afford the money. Concerning the linker one can expect any reasonable
> > user/developer to use the native linker. You should not (TM) use GNU
> > binutils on Solaris,
>
> Thanks for that Martin. I can test the build and some basic tests if
> needed. However, all of my programs that use dblib are still in
> Windows.
>
> Glad to hear it on binutils. One of my most used open source programs
> is about to have a new release that, for the first time, requires gnu
> ld. Very sad and the developer will not even talk about a non-gnu ld
> environment.
>
> Thanks, Alex

I compiled with sun compiler and sun linker just some days ago (Solaris
9, issues reported by Martin seems related to Solaris 8). Do not confuse
libtool with binutils. libtool it' s a developer tools that help you
port code using different platform. FreeTDS use libtool (and others GNU
tools like autoconf and automake) to build a portable distro.
Usually I use GNU compiler even for HP-UX but the reason it's that
bundled compiler isn't ANSI C (I don't want to support a 20 years old
compiler when another free compiler it's available and I don't have the
commercial one).