freetds - RE: [freetds] dbi:sybase:server SQL Server connection issue serve rname\instancename

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Kirk Anderson <dba_1_1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] dbi:sybase:server SQL Server connection issue serve rname\instancename
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:31:49 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you. I will find out what port it is listening on an then make the
entry. Is the port assignment static or does it change with each bounce of
the sql server?

"Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems.com> wrote:
Instances are really just SQL servers listening on a different port.

If you set up the server in freetds.conf, you can alter the default port,
then use the entry in freetds.conf to connect.

You may have to use Enterprise Manager to discover what port has been
assigned to the instance you are looking for.

For example:

In freetds.conf:
[SQLINSTANCE]
name = sql.foo.com
tdsver = 8.0
port = 1435

In your program:

$dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:Sybase:server=SQLINSTANCE", $user, $pass )
or die "Can't connect: " . DBI->errstr;