freetds - [freetds] dblib and thread safety

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: liam AT inodes.org
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] dblib and thread safety
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:01:42 +1000

Hi,

I've been encountering some intermittent misbehaviour from dblib. In
particular, it often occurs during system startup when performing a
tdsdbopen().

I've had a look at the code and I can not see how it could possibly
be thread safe. In particular, due to the concurrent access that
occurs within tdsdbopen() and a number of other functions, corruption
of g_dblib_ctx is almost guaranteed.

Will there be any objection from the maintainers should I submit a patch
that puts mutexes (wrapped in #ifdefs) inside dblib? If not, is there
a pre-processor variable already in use for thread-safety that I should
use?

Thanks.