freetds - Re: [freetds] Cursors in freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steven Orton <sorton9999 AT usa.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Cursors in freetds
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:38:40 -0400

I think I'm embarrasing myself. You are absolutely right about talking past
each other:) I'm talking about connection speeds and you're talking about
cursors. I don't know how I got on that subject. The use I wanted for
cursors is getting a resultset and searching through it possibly multiple
times instead of copying data to local data structures and then performing the
search(s). I think that would be useful to me and is also not correctly
implemented in the C++ API that I'm using even though the driver we use
supports cursors.

Sorry about the confusion...steve---

"James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 <sorton9999 AT usa.net> wrote:
> > I still am of the mind that
> > connecting to the database, running a query and collecting the data for
> > use by an application is slower than running a query and collecting data
> > and re-using the first connection.
>
> And you're absolutely right about that.
>
> I have a feeling we may be talking past each other. If all you want to do
> is send a query, read (all) the results, and repeat, then, sure, you
> should "re-use" the connection. No need to disconnect. For webservers,
> there's even a pool server designed to cache connections, the better to
> avoid the overhead of logging in.
>
> If what you want to do is: send a query, read some results, use the
> partially read results to issue another query -- kind of a nested loop
> idea -- then cursors are potentially useful, as is maintaining two
> connections.
>
> --jkl

Steven Orton
sorton9999 AT usa.net