freetds - Re: [freetds] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Beta 1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: brian AT bruns.com
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Beta 1
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:44:15 -0700 (PDT)

I don't consider this a huge issue, as this is a replacement for MSDE
which is more of an Access replacement than something in the SQL
Server line. They are just trying to leverage SQL Server name, IMNSHO

BTW, I've made a little bit of headway decoding the MSDE format for
MDB Tools. The on disk structures probably don't change that much
from that.

Brian

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:55:24 -0400, "James K. Lowden" wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, danielmorgan AT verizon.net> wrote:
> > I would like to be able to connect to SQL Server 2005 Express.
> >
> > Unfortunately, they do not allow it to be used outside of their
.NET
> > 2005 Express IDEs like Visual C# 2005 Express or Visual Basic.NET
> 2005
> > Express.
> >
> > SQL Server 20005 Express has replaced MSDE.
> >
> > Microsoft has SQL Server 2005 Express Beta 1 for download.
> >
> > http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/sql/default.aspx
> >
> > Any ideas on how to get it to work externally?
>
> I read about this in the New York times on Monday, I think. I
thought
> at
> the time, "I bet it doesn't accept TDS connections". Thanks for
> confirming.
>
> The thing to do, it seems to me, is to build on Steve Kirkendall's
> work on
> src/server. From a brief look at Microsoft's documentation, it seems
> you'd need to create what's now called a "Windows Service
> Application".
> Drop in the FreeTDS server, attach query/result handling to the
SS2K5E