freetds - RE: [freetds] Cursors in freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Cursors in freetds
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:38:20 -0400

Holy functionality, Batman!

> As this is one of the trumpeted features of ADO.NET 2.0 , I
> think we should
> be pretty chuffed about being able to do it too!

I don't know what "chuffed" is, but, OK, if you say so. You know, if you
guys keep making up slang, we're never going to learn it all.

> I know it sounds like a radical departure, but I would like to "walk
> through" the design of this with any interested parties
> before unleashing the patch on an unsuspecting world.

Sounds good.

> I'd also like to know how this fit in with the ODBC driver -
> will it enhance
> our implementation significantly to have cursors available ?

ODBC distiguishes between client-side and server-side cursors. As both ODBC
and ct-lib are generic database interface descriptions, it seems ODBC would
want to use what you've added to ct-lib.

> I'll prepare an outline document on how I've changed things, and why.
> I'll forward it to interested parties, so if you consider
> yourself to be one of those, just let me know.

If it's a document about changes to the design, maybe just post it to the
list? If it's a description of the cursor-handling design that will live
into the future, we could add it to the distribution ("cursors.txt"). In any
case, we should put something in NEWS and/or README; this is a major new
feature (along with ct-blk) for 0.63.

In any case, please consider me an interested party. ;-)

Regards,

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.
If you, as the intended recipient of this message, the purpose of which is to
inform and update our clients, prospects and consultants of developments
relating to our services and products, would not like to receive further
e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the sender
indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York,
NY 10105.