freetds - RE: [freetds] unixODBC/MS SQL/freetds problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lyons, Andrew Myers" <andrew.m.lyons AT vanderbilt.edu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] unixODBC/MS SQL/freetds problem
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:08:39 -0500

OK,

after some tinkering I am now able to access my database through command-line isql and the ODBHC Data Manager. Thank you so much!
I suppose my biggest problem was that I didn't understand how freetds.conf and odbc.ini interacted with the ODBCConfig utility. I suppose as far as the user guide goes, I personally could have benefited greatly from more unixODBC-specific instructions. If I feel that I have sufficient understanding of freetds/unixODBC when I'm done, I would be more than happy to make a tutorial.

I now have a problem when trying to connect using python with mxODBC. I don't get any log data when I try this method; here's what happens:

import mx.ODBC.unixODBC
db =
mx.ODBC.unixODBC.DriverConnect('DSN=SIMONDEVEL;UID=[username];PWD=[
password]')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
mxODBC.OperationalError: ('IM002', 0, '[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default driver specified', 6044)

I realize this may not be a freeTDS problem, but if anyone could provide assistance I would greatly appreciate it.

One side note:
When I do an isql from the command line, I get the following text as part of the log output:

14:26:44.199938 tds_put_string converting 6 bytes of "SYBASE"
14:26:44.199972 tds_put_string wrote 12 bytes
14:26:44.200001 tds_put_string wrote 0 bytes
14:26:44.200029 tds_put_string converting 10 bytes of "us_english"
14:26:44.200080 tds_put_string wrote 20 bytes
14:26:44.200109 tds_put_string converting 9 bytes of "SIMONPHYS"
14:26:44.200143 tds_put_string wrote 18 bytes

Should I be concerned that "sybase" is still showing up there? even though it seems to work?

I greatly appreciate the time you spent to develop and support freetds, which I'm sure will be quite useful to me once I figure out how it works :-)

Best,

Andrew