freetds - RE: [freetds] unixODBC/MS SQL/freetds problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] unixODBC/MS SQL/freetds problem
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:18:09 -0400

Welcome, Andrew.

"Server SYBASE not found" is our classic (albeit obscure) message indicating
that FreeTDS failed to locate the server by the name you indicated.

Your odbc.ini uses "Server", the value of which is the DNS name (or ip
address) of the machine hosting the database. That's an ODBC-only setup,
meaning the FreeTDS ODBC driver won't consult freetds.conf. You must fully
describe the server in odbc.ini. You're missing port and TDS version.

Alternatively, use "Servername = SIMONDEVEL" instead.

You clearly studied the UG, and you're not the first person to get tripped up
by this. If you can suggest some way to make them clearer, please do.

Regards,

--jkl

> my freetds.conf file:
> [global]
> tds version = 8.0
>
> [SIMONDEVEL]
> host = 192.168.1.100
> port = 1433
> tds version = 8.0
>
> my odbc.ini file:
> [SIMONDEVEL]
> Driver = TDS
> Description = SIMON development server MS SQL 2000
> Trace = No
> Server = 192.168.1.100
> Database = SIMONPHYS
>
> my odbcinst.ini file:
> [TDS]
> Description = v0.62 TDS version 8.0
> Driver = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
> Setup = /usr/local/lib/libtdsS.so
> FileUsage = 1
>
> all three are located in /usr/local/etc/, which is where the
> environment
> variable FREETDS points to.
>
> all the information in ODBCConfig seems to be correct as well.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer for my
> problem.

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.
If you, as the intended recipient of this message, the purpose of which is to
inform and update our clients, prospects and consultants of developments
relating to our services and products, would not like to receive further
e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the sender
indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York,
NY 10105.