freetds - Re: [freetds] Here's something any/everyone could help me with...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Pete Prodoehl <pete.prodoehl AT cygnusinteractive.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Here's something any/everyone could help me with...
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:24:55 -0500

Thompson, Bill D (London) wrote:
I've got a little (rather unimportant) problem that I've been wondering
about for a while.
I'd welcome any suggestions anyone might have.

I've written a program that will migrate the data in a table from one server
to another.
It can move data from Sybase -> SQL server, vice versa, or from like to
like.
It's superfast, and will copy say 5000 rows of data a second between the
servers.
I've used it to migrate 400 Gb of data from Sybase to SQL Server for
example.
My problem is the command line interface to the program. It's really awful !
[snip]

I thought I could have a "-C <filename>" flag, which would point to a config
file that holds the sensitive data
If <filename> didn't exist, it would prompt for the data, and create it.
Has anyone got any other suggestions ?

I'd prefer the config file option, as this doesn't seem like something you would do every day, well you might, but you would automate the process then... I'd want to be able to create a config file with all variables defined, and then run the program and have it display what my config file has so I can confirm all is well, and then run. (Perhaps asking for username/passwords on the command line at runtime, so they are not in the config file?)

Just my 2 cents...

Pete