freetds - [freetds] Here's something any/everyone could help me with...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Here's something any/everyone could help me with...
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:50:57 +0100

Hi all,

I've got a little (rather unimportant) problem that I've been wondering
about for a while.
I'd welcome any suggestions anyone might have.

I've written a program that will migrate the data in a table from one server
to another.
It can move data from Sybase -> SQL server, vice versa, or from like to
like.
It's superfast, and will copy say 5000 rows of data a second between the
servers.
I've used it to migrate 400 Gb of data from Sybase to SQL Server for
example.

My problem is the command line interface to the program. It's really awful !

The data I want to get into the program on each run is as follows :

I've got a few flags to specify some particular behaviours, e.g.

-t truncates the target table before loading
-A packetsize (like the (free)bcp parameter)
-b batchsize (like the (free)bcp parameter)

Then I need to get into the program

source server name
source user id
source password
source database
source table name

target server name
target user id
target password
target database
target table name (may not be the same as source)

Apart from the fact that I don't like the idea of putting userid/passwords
on the command line,
I'm running out of meaningful flag letters...

I thought about prompting for input of these parameters, but that makes it
difficult to include in a shell script.

I thought I could have a "-C <filename>" flag, which would point to a config
file that holds the sensitive data
If <filename> didn't exist, it would prompt for the data, and create it.

Has anyone got any other suggestions ?

Thanks,

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

Bill Thompson
GMI Technology
Merrill Lynch Europe

+44 207 995 8307

For very important information relating to this e-mail please click on this
link: http://www.ml.com/legal_info.htm

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify
the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose,
copy, retain or redistribute it.

Click here for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.
<http://www.ml.com/email_terms/>