freetds - [freetds] Re: FreeTDS on Mac OS X 10.3.3

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT axelero.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Re: FreeTDS on Mac OS X 10.3.3
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 22:33:01 +0200

On May 14, 2004, at 20:13, Mike Galban wrote:

Hello all,
I'm new to FreeTDS and ODBC in general but am very interested in getting it to work properly. So far I've been able to build and install on OS X 10.3.3 using the guides and helpful hints from the archives. Using tsql I've connected to and queried my company's MSSQL db and have gotten back the desired results. One thing that I haven't gotten to work is the building of the ODBC driver, at least that's what I can only assume. Looking for libtdsodbc.so in /usr/local/freetds/lib turns up nothing. I can't find it anywhere. I do have several .a .la and .dylib files in /usr/local/freetds/lib. Should I be pointing to one of the these files as the driver? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm afraid I haven't heard of anyone who got FreeTDS's odbc part working under Mac OS X, and I've been closely following the discussion on this list since almost a year now.

The good news is that the other libraries do work without much effort (ctlib, dblib) and the lack of success could be down to nobody really even trying to get it to work. I know I've given up right away at the first obstacle. :)

Getting it to function may or may not require replacing the Apple-supplied iODBC with a new version.

As for the extensions, .so is really only a remnant of porting software from other UNIX systems. Mac OS X has the unfortunate distinction that shared libraries and loadable modules are not the same as on other systems such as Linux. Here's a page I found helpful in explaining the difference:
http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/porting/shared.php

Keep us informed if you take to time to figure out what makes it work! :)

--
fds