freetds - [freetds] TDS server - error messages and "fFunction 999"

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Kirkendall <skirkendall AT dsl-only.net>
  • To: FreeTDS <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] TDS server - error messages and "fFunction 999"
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:22:51 -0700

My little server is starting to stabilize. At present, my biggest
questions are:

* When is it safe the server to send error messages? Currently my server
just calls tds_send_message(...) immediately when an error is detected
such as a bad column name in the SQL request, but that causes
Crystal Reports to crash!

* If I try to use Access 2000 to access my server, it fails immediately
after logging in, before I can send any requests. Here's the tail of
the log file from the client-side ODBC, where things go wrong...

17:55:48 looking for login token, got fd(DONE)
17:55:48 tds_process_default_tokens() marker is fd(DONE)
17:55:48 tds_process_end: more_results = 0
was_cancelled = 0
error = 0
done_count_valid = 0
17:55:48 tds_process_end() state set to TDS_IDLE
17:55:48 leaving tds_process_login_tokens() returning 1
SQLGetFunctions: fFunction is 999
17:55:48 tds_free_all_results()
SQLFreeHandle(2, 0x9060750)
SQLFreeHandle(1, 0x9060f30)

That "999" thing looks suspicious to me, but I don't really understand
what's going on. From the server side, it appears that the client simply
closes the socket immediately after logging in.

By the way, I have started collecting some of the things I've learned
while writing this server into an HTML file. The current version of the
file (which is still *very* incomplete, and possibly even wrong in some
places) is available now at...

http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~kirkenda/tdsserver.html

--
Steve Kirkendall |A:It is confusing, since people don't read that way
kirkenda AT cs.pdx.edu |Q:Why is top-posting bad?