freetds - Re: [freetds] bcp broken on TDS 5.0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] bcp broken on TDS 5.0
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:50:51 -0400

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
wrote:
> The bcp data sent down the wire to a Sybase server is an image of a row
> as it is physically stored within the database
> It may well be that Sybase have changed how row data is stored in
> 12/12.5...and that therefore our bcp data is being misinterpreted by the
> server.

I just had the *brilliant* insight that it must be FreeTDS's problem. Let
us suppose, for a moment, that Sybase did change the TDS format for bcp'd
rows. Wouldn't that mean that all Sybase's old bcp utilities would be
unable to connect and upload rows?

I dont' have ribo, but I do have an 11.5 system around here. I think I'll
see what tcpdump has to say.