freetds - Re: More on using FreeTDS on a server (was Re: [freetds] Server dumps core...)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Kirkendall <skirkendall AT dsl-only.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: More on using FreeTDS on a server (was Re: [freetds] Server dumps core...)
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:08:22 -0700

"James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org> wrote on Sunday, Apr 18, 2004:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Steve Kirkendall <skirkendall AT dsl-only.net> wrote:
> >
> > * Can anybody recommend an alternative ODBC/TDS driver for Windows?
>
> The FreeTDS ODBC driver can be built with VC++. One big advantage that
> would have (for you) would be that the TDSDUMP log file could show you the
> packets being exchanged. If you set the protocol to 4.2, it will also
> capture the login packet. Be advised that 4.2/5.0 login packet is very
> different from the 7.0 one.

I've compiled it and *tried* to install it on Windows. It does show up in
the list of ODBC drivers in Windows' ODBC Data Source tool. But whenever
I try to access it, I get an error message saying that the setup routines
could not be accessed.

Here's the batch file I used to install it. I added this batch file to
the freetds-0.62.3\win32\msvc6 directory. Maybe I'm just not installing
FreeTDS correctly. The batch file is derived from a similar file for
MyODBC, so a lot of the CONFIGDRIVER lines might be wrong. (If it matters,
this is a Windows98 machine.)

@echo off
REM This shell script installs the FreeTDS ODBC driver
COPY /Y Debug\FreeTDS.dll %windir%\SYSTEM\FreeTDS.dll
CD %windir%\SYSTEM
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF INSTALLDRIVER
"FreeTDS|Driver=FreeTDS.dll|Setup=FreeTDS.dll||"
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF CONFIGDRIVER "FreeTDS" "APILevel=1"
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF CONFIGDRIVER "FreeTDS" "ConnectFunctions=YYN"
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF CONFIGDRIVER "FreeTDS" "DriverODBCVer=03.51"
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF CONFIGDRIVER "FreeTDS" "FileUsage=0"
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF CONFIGDRIVER "FreeTDS" "SQLLevel=1"
%windir%\SYSTEM\ODBCCONF CONFIGDRIVER "FreeTDS" "CPTimeout=60"

What is the "normal" way to install FreeTDS on Windows, after compiling it?

--
Steve Kirkendall |A:It is confusing, since people don't read that way
kirkenda AT cs.pdx.edu |Q:Why is top-posting bad?