freetds - Re: [freetds] SQL server performance proplems

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] SQL server performance proplems
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:56:07 -0500

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, "Andrea Pagano" <apagano AT iontrading.com> wrote:
> - A PHP script which extract data from the same table (one on a SQL
> Server system and another one on a mySQL sys), using a SQL server
> connection will take more than 10 time the same which extract the same
> data on the MySql System
> - I tried to run that query on the query analyzer and the result was
> really fast_
> So the problem I guess is related to the apache web server, but not
> completely, because I use the same sever and the same client to run both
> scripts_

Whatever it is, it's not FreeTDS. If you don't believe me, do what we did
some time ago: try freebcp or sqsh, or adapt one of the unit tests.
You'll find the performance is very close to what Microsoft's
implementation does.

If those are slow, check you DNS setup, forward and reverse. We can't go
any faster than ping(8).

HTH.