freetds - RE: [freetds] SQL server performance proplems

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] SQL server performance proplems
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:21:07 +0100

> Hi All!
> I work for a company which has several db. I need to extract
> some data from
> a SQL server db and publish it on the web (PHP)
> I set up a test environment in order to test the freetds, put I'm
> experiencing huge performance problems.
> That's what I did.
> - A PHP script which extract data from the same table (one on
> a SQL Server
> system and another one on a mySQL sys), using a SQL server
> connection will
> take more than 10 time the same which extract the same data
> on the MySql
> System
> - I tried to run that query on the query analyzer and the
> result was really
> fast...
> So the problem I guess is related to the apache web server, but not
> completely, because I use the same sever and the same client
> to run both
> scripts...
> PLEASE HELP!!!
> Thanks!

Hi!
Before speaking about FreeTDS speeds problems you should send some
informations:
- what are software (PHP/Apache/FreeTDS) versions?
- how did you configure PHP? CTLib, DBLib or ODBC?
- how did you configure connection? Did you use correct TDS version?
- what types of query are you issuing?

Is difficult to compare MySql <-> mssql. MySql is known to be faster
than mssql. Some issues had been addressed on 0.62 (name resolution and
delay).