freetds - [freetds] Installing FreeTDS on MacOS X Panther - Solution

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Dmitri <dimo AT angelhill.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Installing FreeTDS on MacOS X Panther - Solution
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:24:58 +0100

I've been looking around the net for a while, and could not find any useful info about installing FreeTDS on the Mac (OS X.3.2), at least no info that worked or was easy to apply.

So using short info in the FreeTDS FAQ, lots of time and some brains I compiled this quick and easy tutorial for installing FreeTDS on MacOS X.

I am using FreeTDS 0.63 (20040223)

1. Install the latest libtool from GNU (I used 1.5.2, install it into /usr/local, so you dont mess up the apple-original, I messed it up and it was not pretty)
2. Make sure /usr/local/bin is in your PATH and /usr/local/lib is in your LIBRARY_PATH
3. Go to your freetds dir and run "./configure --disable-libiconv --disable-odbc"
4. Then while still in your freetds dir run "ln -sf /usr/local/bin/libtool"
4a. Optional: To check that you've done everything correctly up to this point, run "./libtool --version", this should report version 1.5.2 (or whatever version you downloaded, and NOT 1.4)
5. Run make && make install

Voila, it works. I hope this helps some poor sap who spent an entire day trying to figure this out ;)

If it didnt work for you, please speak up...heh, I tested it a few times and it seems to work. But who knows.
Note that if you run configure again, you'll need to perform step 4 again, because libtool is regenerated in its fossilized state again.

--
[angelhill.net] net
[dimo AT angelhill.net] text