freetds - Re: [RE: [freetds] Moving the resultset pointer]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: brian AT bruns.com
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [RE: [freetds] Moving the resultset pointer]
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 21:57:03 -0800 (PST)

Anyone interested in tackling this might want to look
at the row buffering code in dblib. anything functions
with buffer_...() should be pretty adaptable to being
moved into the libtds area and used for both libraries.

One big limitation is you have to set the size of the
row buffer. I'm not sure how well this meshes with
ODBC, but perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge
could enlighten me. Also this is client side cursors
only, I have no idea how server side cursor
would/should work.

Brian

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:59:27 -0500, Steven Orton wrote:

> oh man....that is unfortunate :( it would make my
> life a hell of a lot
> easier if i could get a multirow resultset and
> basically search through the
> same set multiple times. so basically, if i want to
> search through the set
> again, i have to dump the old and get a new? i guess
> that's why the big boys
> are getting buku $$$$$, ehhh?
> i really would be out of my league if I tried to add
> cursor support. maybe
> something to shoot for in 1.0 ;)
>
> thanks for the quick reply....steve---
>

> "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com> wrote:

freeTDS-0.62.dev.20031218
> with the
> > > 0.2.3 version of
> > > ODBC++ (freeodbc) and using TDSVER=7.0 on a RH9.0
> client getting at a
> > > SQLServer 7.0 DB.
> > ..
> > > My question is, Can one create a random access
> multirow
> > > resultset using the
> > > TDS API.
> >
> > I don't think it is. You seem to have pointed up a
> bug in our
> > documentation: our api_status.txt file (and new User
> Guide) indicates
> > SQLFetchScroll is "OK", but the source code
disagrees:

> > SQLRETURN SQL_API
> > SQLFetchScroll(SQLHSTMT hstmt, SQLSMALLINT
> FetchOrientation, SQLINTEGER
> > FetchOffset)
> > {
> > INIT_HSTMT;
> >
> > /* still we do not support cursors and
> scrolling */
> > if (FetchOrientation != SQL_FETCH_NEXT) {
> > odbc_errs_add(&stmt->errs, "HY106",
> NULL, NULL);
> > ODBC_RETURN(stmt, SQL_ERROR);
> > }
> >
> > ODBC_RETURN(stmt, _SQLFetch(stmt));
> > }
> >
> > In this case, I'd believe the source code. :-(
> >
> > You don't get a "HY106" error somewhere along the
> line?
> >
> > > If that IS possible, I can try to update my
ODBC++
> > > library (since I
> > > think this is a unsupported library at present).
> >
> > Only because no one's stepped up to it. There seem
> to be a few people
> > interested in ODBC++; all that remains is for a
> knowledgeable someone to
> > write up how to hook it up to FreeTDS.
> >
> > --jkl

> > The information contained in this transmission may
> contain privileged and
> confidential information and is intended only for the
> use of the person(s)
> named above. If you are not the intended recipient, or
> an employee or agent
> responsible for delivering this message to the
intended
> recipient, any review,
> dissemination, distribution or duplication of this
> communication is strictly
> prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
> please contact the sender
> immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
> the original message.
> Please note that we do not accept account orders
and/or