freetds - [freetds] Re: Re: RE: freeTDS unixODBC...Which one isn't working

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Daughterson, Adam [EPM/BOU/MMI]" <Adam.Daughterson1 AT EmersonProcess.com>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Re: Re: RE: freeTDS unixODBC...Which one isn't working
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:33:21 -0600

Thank you again,

So I started from scratch and here's what I've got now:
I had to compile/configure unixODBC first (to use isql for testing) and
couldn't find any reason
to pass any arguments to the ./configure && make && make install.

Then I ran ./configure --with-unixodbc --with-tdsver=8.0
and let it install freetds in the default /usr/local prefix.

I edited /usr/local/etc/freetds.conf and tested with tsql. OK so far.
/usr/local/etc/dumpo(for debugging) is the glad recipient of TDSDUMPCONFIG.
After tsql, I get lots of nice info about the successful connection to DB.

Now to experiment, I selectively move the odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini around
to ~, and /usr/local/etc (among other places), it 'works' in both ~, and
/usr/local/etc. ('works' because isql gripes that there aren't any data
sources by that name when the odbc*.ini files are not in ~, or
/usr/local/etc)

Here are the files as they stand now:

root@USBOU1-DHDLINUX:/usr/local/etc# cat odbc.ini
[ODBC Data Sources]
esp_ms_sql = MS SQL Server

[esp_ms_sql]
Driver = /usr/local/lib/libodbc.so
Description = MS SQL Server
Trace = No
Server = usbou1-scallog
Port = 1433
Address = 155.177.99.17
TDS_Version = 8.0
UID = esp_it
Database = esp35_it
[Default]
Driver = /usr/local/lib/libodbc.so

root@USBOU1-DHDLINUX:/usr/local/etc# cat odbcinst.ini
[TDS]
Description = v062
Driver = /usr/local/lib/libodbc.so
FileUsage = 2

I tried using /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so as the driver in both ini files
and it immediately errors out with Unable to SQLConnect. Using the
/usr/local/lib/libodbc.so, when running:

isql -v dsn user passwd

It hangs indefinitely. No output, no error, just blank line on the console.
I feel like the FreeTDS part is working, but the unixODBC part has the bug.
How does this look to you?
Is there anything else that I could include to make this more concise?
AD