freetds - [freetds] freeTDS unixODBC...Which one isn't working

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Daughterson, Adam [EPM/BOU/MMI]" <Adam.Daughterson1 AT EmersonProcess.com>
  • To: "Freetds@Lists. Ibiblio. Org (freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org)" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] freeTDS unixODBC...Which one isn't working
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:52:19 -0500

I apologise in advance for my inexperience in a mail list. This is my first
experience with this type of support.

My issue is thus:

I configured/compiled unixODBC first, then configured/compiled freeTDS with:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freetds(I've tried this using the default
/usr/local) --with-unixodbc --with-tdsver=8.0(I've also tried 7.0)
Make && make install

I am then able to edit freetds.conf to add my server, then test the
connection with:

adaughterson@USBOU1-DHDLINUX:~$ tsql -S usbou1-scallog -U esp_it
locale is "C"
locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
Password:
Msg 5703, Level 0, State 1, Server USBOU1-SCALLOG, Line 0
Changed language setting to us_english.
1>

The documentation that I have been finding seems to indicate that the
freeTDS portion is working. The part that I am having trouble with is once
I have loaded the driver, and created the DSN with odbcinst a I try to
connect with isql recieving this error:

adaughterson@USBOU1-DHDLINUX:~$ isql -v esp_ms_sql esp_it working_password
[IM004][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV
failed
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

The same sort of thing happens when attempting to execute an MS SQL aware
application via WINE. The DSN's just don't seem to work.
If I'm completely off track posting in this mailing list, I would sure
appreciate a nudge in the right direction. If anyone has configured WINE to
use ODBC utilizing the freeTDS driver, I would most certainly benefit from
their experience.

Thanks in advance,
Adam Daughterson