freetds - [freetds] OT: portable Makefile shell constructions

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] OT: portable Makefile shell constructions
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:11:37 -0500

While we're on the subject, does anyone have experience with the following
assertions?

1. "cp -R" is not portable. Use "install -c" instead.
2. "-a" and "-o" are portable, insofar as automake relies on them.
3. "-e" is not portable to test for a file's existence. Use -r instead.

These are in the context of shell scriptlets in a Makefile.

I can't find any specific admonition not to use "cp -R" except that it's a
fairly recent innovation, and it's not a shell built-in, making it that
much more variable.

--jkl

  • [freetds] OT: portable Makefile shell constructions, James K. Lowden, 12/23/2003