freetds - Re: [freetds] Build error 61.2.- Autoconf version 2.54 or higher is required ...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Isak Johnsson <isak AT hypergene.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Vijoy Varghese <viijv AT thedifferenZ.com>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Build error 61.2.- Autoconf version 2.54 or higher is required ...
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:41:43 +0200

Hello Vijoy!

I've compiled FreeTDS on Mac OS X (Jaguar). It works fine. Here are some notes that may be of help for you. I'm sorry that I don't remember all details.

These are built and installed to their default location (/usr/local):

autoconf-2.57
autogen-5.5.6
automake-1.7.6
libiconv-1.9.1

Download (later versions should work too) and build them (configure and make). I don't remember in which order to build the first three, it's probably important though, their docs should tell. Autogen is not needed unless you are compiling from CVS.

Since they are installed in /usr/local/bin you should make sure that /usr/local/bin comes before /usr/bin in your PATH variable. In this way your newer versions will be used, in place of the older Apple-provided ones in /usr/bin. This is important when you run configure.

You'll probably need to patch your system's libtool, there are instructions in the FreeTDS FAQ.

This was the configure line I used:

./configure --with-iodbc --with-tdsver=8.0 --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local/ --with-pic --enable-msdblib --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-threadsafe

Mac OS X comes with iODBC by default. Adjust --with-tdsver to your server, see the docs.

My directory is called freetds-0.62. I think it's from the CVS about one or two months ago. So try find a newer version that 6.1, you might be more successful withit.

If your make works (hopefully), do a 'sudo make install'. Then you should be able to test everything with tsql:

tsql -S <database-host> -U <username>

Good luck!

Isak Johnsson

---
Hi all,

I am trying to get query a MS Sql database on windows machine from a Mac OS. I came to hear that DBD::Sybase is a good option. But to use DBD::Sybase, I need to install the Client Libraries from linux.sybase.org, but nothing is free there, so I decided to go for the only free solution which is freeTDS.

So I hope that to query mssql, all i need to do is
1) Install freetds on Mac
2) Install DBD::Sybase with the SYBASE env variable = '/usr/local/freetds'
3) use DBI and we are done.

To do (1) i did the following...
a) downloaded latest freetds from ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/stable/freetds-0.61.tgz
b) $ tar xvfz freetds-0.61.tgz
c) $ cd freetds-0.61
d) $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freetds

e) $ make
Making all in include
cd .. && /bin/sh /Users/admin/documents/vijoy/freetds-0.61.2/missing --run autoh
eader
./aclocal.m4:444: error: Autoconf version 2.54 or higher is required for this sc
ript
./aclocal.m4:444: the top level
autoconf: tracing failed
make[1]: *** [config.h.in] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

f) I thought the error is because i dont have the script 'autoconf'. I downloaded the script and installed it. But still getting same error.

I am stuck, can some one tell me what to do?

Thanking you all in advance,
Vijoy~