freetds - [freetds] Build error 61.2.- Autoconf version 2.54 or higher is required ...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Vijoy Varghese" <viijv AT thedifferenZ.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Build error 61.2.- Autoconf version 2.54 or higher is required ...
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:21:55 +0530

Hi all,

I am trying to get query a MS Sql database on windows machine from a Mac OS.
I came to hear that DBD::Sybase is a good option. But to use DBD::Sybase, I
need to install the Client Libraries from linux.sybase.org, but nothing is
free there, so I decided to go for the only free solution which is freeTDS.

So I hope that to query mssql, all i need to do is
1) Install freetds on Mac
2) Install DBD::Sybase with the SYBASE env variable = '/usr/local/freetds'
3) use DBI and we are done.

To do (1) i did the following...
a) downloaded latest freetds from
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/stable/freetds-0.61.tgz
b) $ tar xvfz freetds-0.61.tgz
c) $ cd freetds-0.61
d) $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freetds
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -p
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependant libraries... file_magic Mach-O
dynamically l
inked shared library
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... yes
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fno-common -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fno-common -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... no
finding the maximum length of command line arguments... 24577
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin6.8 dyld
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -p output... ok
creating libtool
updating cache /dev/null
checking for iconv... no, consider installing GNU libiconv
checking for doxygen... no
checking for socket in -lsocket... no
checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... no
checking for library containing tgetent... -lncurses
checking for readline in -lreadline... no
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking errno.h usability... yes
checking errno.h presence... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking malloc.h usability... no
checking malloc.h presence... no
checking for malloc.h... no
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking arpa/inet.h usability... yes
checking arpa/inet.h presence... yes
checking for arpa/inet.h... yes
checking netdb.h usability... yes
checking netdb.h presence... yes
checking for netdb.h... yes
checking netinet/in.h usability... yes
checking netinet/in.h presence... yes
checking for netinet/in.h... yes
checking langinfo.h usability... no
checking langinfo.h presence... no
checking for langinfo.h... no
checking paths.h usability... yes
checking paths.h presence... yes
checking for paths.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking libgen.h usability... yes
checking libgen.h presence... yes
checking for libgen.h... yes
checking sys/param.h usability... yes
checking sys/param.h presence... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking locale.h usability... yes
checking locale.h presence... yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking whether INADDR_NONE is defined... yes
checking for char... yes
checking size of char... 1
checking for short... yes
checking size of short... 2
checking for long... yes
checking size of long... 4
checking for int... yes
checking size of int... 4
checking for float... yes
checking size of float... 4
checking for double... yes
checking size of double... 8
checking for long double... yes
checking size of long double... 8
checking for long long... yes
checking size of long long... 8
checking for __int64... no
checking size of __int64... 0
checking is FIONBIO defined... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for gethostname... yes
checking for sethostent_r... no
checking for gethostent_r... no
checking for nl_langinfo... no
checking for getuid... yes
checking for getpwuid... yes
checking for getpwuid_r... yes
checking for asprintf... yes
checking for vasprintf... yes
checking for atoll... no
checking for strtok_r... yes
checking whether malloc_options variable is present... no
checking compile-time options
checking threadsafety... disabled
checking for which type of gethostbyname_r... six
checking for which type of getservbyname_r... six
checking for which type of gethostbyaddr_r... seven
checking for which type of getpwuid_r... five
checking for which type of localtime_r... struct
done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating include/tdsver.h
config.status: creating include/tds_sysdep_public.h
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating include/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating samples/Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating src/tds/Makefile
config.status: creating src/tds/unittests/Makefile
config.status: creating src/dblib/Makefile
config.status: creating src/dblib/unittests/Makefile
config.status: creating src/ctlib/Makefile
config.status: creating src/ctlib/unittests/Makefile
config.status: creating src/replacements/Makefile
config.status: creating src/server/Makefile
config.status: creating src/pool/Makefile
config.status: creating src/odbc/Makefile
config.status: creating src/odbc/unittests/Makefile
config.status: creating src/apps/Makefile
config.status: creating freetds.spec
config.status: creating win32/Makefile
config.status: creating win32/msvc6/Makefile
config.status: creating include/config.h

e) $ make
Making all in include
cd .. && /bin/sh /Users/admin/documents/vijoy/freetds-0.61.2/missing --run
autoh
eader
./aclocal.m4:444: error: Autoconf version 2.54 or higher is required for this
sc
ript
./aclocal.m4:444: the top level
autoconf: tracing failed
make[1]: *** [config.h.in] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

f) I thought the error is because i dont have the script 'autoconf'. I
downloaded the script and installed it. But still getting same error.

I am stuck, can some one tell me what to do?

Thanking you all in advance,
Vijoy~