freetds - Re: [freetds] ct_dynamic()/ct_param() support

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] ct_dynamic()/ct_param() support
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:07:24 -0400

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:33:35 -0400, "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
wrote:
> At 10:20 AM -0700 10/12/03, Michael Peppler wrote:
> >Thanks - I looked at the code a little, and it *appears* that RPCs are
> >supported. After two small patches (one to support CS_NULLTERM as the
> >datalen parameter) I got the code to "work" - but it crashes the MSSQL
> >2k server that I've got running here (the server crashes *hard*!).
>
> I spent a good bit of time trying to get this to work, but the
> problem is that TDS 7 does not support sending parameters, but TDS 5
> does.

TDS 5.0 supports parameters in the protocol with TDS_DYNAMIC & Co. TDS
7.0 goes a completely different route, using extended stored procedures
e.g. sp_executesql.

We support both, cf. src/dblib/unittests/rpc.c. Admittedly this is a new
area and we're working with undocumented stuff on the server side.

Bill Thompson said he's nearly ready with a big functional expansion of
ct-lib, and I'm pretty sure that includes parameter support.