freetds - RE: [freetds] New with freeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: 'FreeTDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] New with freeTDS
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:20:16 -0400

You're fine. 0.61 is the last major release. There was a subsequent point
release, 0.61.2, containing minor bugfixes.

Most people start off as you have, with a major release. That's what tends
to be included in various distributions and (we believe) is most widely
deployed. Ergo, it's probably the easiest version to get help with, if
you're trying to get FreeTDS to work with something else, like PHP or
whatever.

The developers tend to be focussed on what's currently in CVS, on last
night's (or tonight's!) snapshot. When someone shows up here with a problem
and we suspect a bug (or missing feature), we often request he download the
latest snapshot as a first step. Sometimes we know it's already been
addressed; sometimes we know related code has been worked on since the
release. Sometimes we don't expect the CVS version to fix anything, but
that's the easiest place for us to start looking into the problem. Only
occasionally do fixes get "backported" to point releases e.g., 0.61.2.

My theory is that releases should be usable relying solely on the included
and online documentation. They are supported here, naturally, to the extent
someone needs help setting things up or an explanation of the feature set.
But if we've done our job properly, a passive user should be able to take
advantage of a release without joining the list.

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.

  • [freetds] New with freeTDS, Gill, Lakh, 09/16/2003
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: [freetds] New with freeTDS, Lowden, James K, 09/16/2003