freetds - Re: [freetds] New to list and to freeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] New to list and to freeTDS
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 08:16:28 -0400

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:39:36 -0500, "Chris Hettinger"
<chettinger AT encompas.com> wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to this list and just as new to FreeTDS. I am begining a
> project that will require me to communicate between my web site
> application sitting on a Linux MDK9.1 / Apache / PHP server to a MS SQL
> 2000 database.

Hello, Chris.

Your setup is typical. Lots of folks use FreeTDS to connect webservers to
Microsoft databases. People on this list are often familiar with PHP
and/or Apache.

> I am familiar but not extremely comfortable with Linux
> I have downloaded the most recent nightly snapshot (7/31/03) and have
> read mush of the early parts of the User's guide.

If there are parts of the UG that aren't clear, tell us what they are.
Sometimes things need to be "unpacked" or would benefit from links to
external references. People sometimes suggest changes of submit
paragraphs here that I later apply.

The first goal of the FreeTDS documentation IMO is to make absolutely
clear to a competent reader what to do. The second goal is to support the
newcomer in his effort to piece together what to do. We don't meet either
one perfectly, and probably do a better job at the former.

--jkl

  • Re: [freetds] New to list and to freeTDS, James K. Lowden, 08/03/2003