freetds - [freetds] RE: latest snapshot testing on Sun Solaris

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <ThompBil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] RE: latest snapshot testing on Sun Solaris
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:14:47 +0100

Hi again,

I've dug a little deeper on this. I had a look at the iconv manual pages on
my server.
These tell me that the file /usr/lib/iconv/iconv_data has the list of
supported conversions,
And here's the file...

646 8859 8859.646 8859.646.t
646de 8859 646de.8859 646de.8859.t
646da 8859 646da.8859 646da.8859.t
646en 8859 646en.8859 646en.8859.t
646fr 8859 646fr.8859 646fr.8859.t
646it 8859 646it.8859 646it.8859.t
646es 8859 646es.8859 646es.8859.t
646sv 8859 646sv.8859 646sv.8859.t
8859 646 8859.646 8859.646.t
8859 646de 8859.646de 8859.646de.t
8859 646da 8859.646da 8859.646da.t
8859 646en 8859.646en 8859.646en.t
8859 646fr 8859.646fr 8859.646fr.t
8859 646it 8859.646it 8859.646it.t
8859 646es 8859.646es 8859.646es.t
8859 646sv 8859.646sv 8859.646sv.t

I don't know the format, but I'm guessing that its telling me it only
supports conversions between the "8859" type character set and the "646"
type character set.

AFAICT from the freetds code, we're trying to get iconv to say that it will
convert the 8859 character set (in various guises) to UTF-8 (again in
various guises), and giving up if it won't...

Have I correctly understood the problem do you think ? and if so, what's the
way forward ?

Bill