freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS, unixODBC, and libodbc++

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Joel Apter" <japter AT ibxtech.com>
  • To: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>, <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS, unixODBC, and libodbc++
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:14:47 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
To: "'Joel Apter'" <japter AT ibxtech.com>; "'FreeTDS Development Group'"
<freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 2:36 PM

I'm not quite sure how I would implement that code since the libodbc++
libraries handles those datatypes internally.

> Do the libodbc++ tests report anything interesting? Perhaps they have
finer
> grained checking of the underlying library that would help us flush out
> what's missing.
This is what happens when I run the dbmetadata test program that comes with
libodbc++:

Connecting to dsn=db, uid=username, pwd=password... done.
Product name : SQL Server
Product version : unknown version
Driver name : libtdsodbc.so
Driver version : 0.61
Driver ODBC version : 3.0
Supports transactions : Yes

Transaction support
===================

Error fetching information: Option not supported

And here is the tail of my tdsdump file after running dbmetadata:

2003-06-12 14:49:17.024453 processing result tokens. marker is
e3(ENVCHANGE)
2003-06-12 14:49:17.024503 inside tds_process_default_tokens() marker is
e3(ENVCHANGE)
2003-06-12 14:49:17.024561 processing result tokens. marker is ab(INFO)
2003-06-12 14:49:17.024610 inside tds_process_default_tokens() marker is
ab(INFO)
2003-06-12 14:49:17.024712 processing result tokens. marker is fd(DONE)
2003-06-12 14:49:17.024764 inside tds_process_end() more_results = 0,
was_cancelled = 0
2003-06-12 14:49:17.024823 inside tds_process_result_tokens() state is
COMPLETED
SQLGetFunctions: fFunction is 999
odbc: not implemented: SQLGetInfo: option/type 10000(SQL_XOPEN_CLI_YEAR)
[category Added for ODBC 3.x]
odbc: not implemented: SQLGetInfo: option/type 72(SQL_TXN_ISOLATION_OPTION)
[category Data Source Information]

To me, it appears as though there are several things that the libodbc++
libraries require that are yet to be implemented in freetds
(SQLColAttributes and SQLGetInfo, for example). Please note, this is not
meant as a complaint at all (more of a wishlist :)). I am quite impressed
with FreeTDS's functionality thus far.

> What does unixODBC say about their message? Is there a way to get more
(ie,
> any) details? As in, say, which identifier was invalid, and what its
value
> was?

Not totally sure what kind of debug/logging options unixODBC has to further
diagnose this issue from the driver manager's standpoint. I'll look into
though, if I find anything I'll let you guys know.

Thank you for your time to respond, I appreciate your opinion on the
situation so far. :)

I guess its back to the C functions for me.

BTW, does anyone happen to know of a lightweight C++ library that wraps some
of the basic C ODBC functions for you?

> --jkl
out such orders and/or instructions.